Image Map

February 7, 2012

A Sweet Valentine Breakfast

Oh Happy Day! 
I am actually writing a post!
It feels so good to be using both my arms and crafting again.  I have to tell you that all your emails to see how I am doing has filled my heart to overflowing.  It never ceases to amaze me that blogging has brought so many of you beautiful friends into my life. To sum up, I am about 70% healed and I am about to start a little physical therapy to get this old elbow to straighten. But I am doing great!

So getting a little crafting in has been soothing to my soul!  I feel like I am using a part of my brain that was lying dormant this past month. And I have to tell ya...Valentine's Day is one of my FAVORITE holidays to create for...maybe it is being a mom to girls?  Or my love of red and pink?  Who knows but this particular project was fun because I used my favorite method of crafting:  USE WHAT YOU HAVE to make it SIMPLE.
I came up with a little Valentine breakfast for Daddy (or Hubby ♥).  Obviously, the men in our lives may possibly get the short end of the stick on this particular love day so what better way to celebrate them?  And a little attention to detail makes this oh so fun!
Your first little project is this easy DIY tray made from a large picture frame.  Attach two handles by screwing it in on the sides and put pretty fabric or a Valentine message inside the glass and you have a perfect tray for your breakfast!
Next, I gave some coffee mugs a little "heart."  A fabric heart, that is.  As many of you know, I will cover anything with fabric or yarn if I am able. And how fun to make an everyday mug festive that can be removed later?  
 I cut out some hearts from scrap fabric and used my little Xyron sticker maker.
Then I simply attached them to the mugs.  Um, so simple I probably did not need photos. :)
 Now fill your pretty mug (In this case we used tea since that is what my husband and I drink).  I also attached a pretty paper tag made from scraps with a fabric heart.  
Just another personal touch to add more looooove.
These heart skewers are made with fabric and yarn wrapped pipe cleaners. 
Here's a quick how to:
1. Wrap a strip of fabric tightly around your pipe cleaner.  The color does not matter with fabric but with yarn, try to match the color because the yarn is so thin.
2. Secure the ends with some fabric glue ensuring you can't see the end of the pipe cleaner and form a heart.
3. Trim a bamboo skewer to size to twist your heart onto.
4. Twist the ends around the skewer tightly and glue to your skewer.
5. You have a pretty DIY heart!
Pop your cute skewers into some yummy chocolate chip scones (a favorite at our house) or use them in cupcakes or on a cake. Add these cute heart doilies colored by the kiddos for an extra dash of sweetness.
Cut some from flowers from your yard (if you are from Florida like me), make your own from fabric or paper, or of course you can buy some! My friend gave these pretties to me when she brought me dinner and covered it with a little sweater sleeve. Just perfect!
And look...it's a little water bottle!  How smart! (thanks Lisa!) 
Wasn't this fun?
I hope you like all the simple ideas to make Valentine's Day special. Husband's and daddy's deserve a little extra love and thought and what better way then with some yummy goodies and precious touches from the little ones?
Hugs and loads of blessings to each of you!

26 comments:

  1. It looks so gorgeous Jessica! I love the fabric hearts you added to the mugs...so simple but so pretty! And the heart picks are just adorable! Beautiful post! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. nummy nummy & so stinkin cute! xo

    www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could you not love this! So endearing! Glad you are feeling better and can craft again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This of course could NOT get sweeter!!!! It was created by you!!!! Absolutely Positively ADORABLE and Yummy!!!! So glad to see you up and about and using both of your creative hands!!! I am sending you tons of hugs and all the prayers and best wishes in the world!!! seeing your posts pop up just makes me so happy -- i check every day as not to disturb you!!!! sending ton and tons of hugs and love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving these super cute ideas! I may need to copy those pipe cleaner hearts! Glad you're crafting again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, I'm SO glad you're back and doing better!!! I love all of these ideas! I've always loved Valentine's Day too. Anything with hearts, pink and candy makes me happy! Love ya, friend and so glad you're back to crafting with both hands now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it weird for me to say I am glad you are back because I have missed you even though I don't know you? Well, there it is anyways.
    This looks fantastic. I might just have to try it for my kids (both boys). We do not generally go in for Valentine's day, (since it is just me and 3 guys) but I think they are missing out. This will be just enough to give me a little fix without overwhelming them I think. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to know that you are almost completely healed. Welcome back to blogging.
    Your ideas are extremely cute. And most importantly seem very easy and not having to go out to buy anything is the best part.
    TFS>

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that your arm is almost healed and this breakfast is amazing, your husband is so lucky to have you in his life:)


    xoox, Roxana @ comfy space

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay!! So glad to see you crafting & blogging again!! I've miss you & your fabulous posts! This project is soooo cute!! Loving all of the details! Especially the little heart tag on the tea bag! ADORABLE!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh I love the yarn around pipe cleaners....so cute and easy for little ones to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, love your projects!!! So creative!! Do you ever share your files for your tags? I love the 'smores tags and would love to be able to print them out. If you are willing, you can just send it to my email: vickigibson04@gmail.com. Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw My Love!!! I got butterflies when i saw you posted!!!
    I ALWAYS Get SO EXCITED b.c i know your any post of yours is going to bring a Big :) to my face and ♥!! ok that sounded Totally cheesy LOL but its true!! haha

    I LOVE IT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How very cute! I love the hearts on the coffee mugs.

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. How very cute this is! I especially like the pipecleaner hearts in the scones!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Happy day !....so glad to see you back..I've missed you...
    xo
    Lu

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cte...there is like 5 awesome projects in this one post! LOVE...I hope you will link up with me here:
    http://www.thegingerbreadblog.com/2012/02/sweet-saturday-link-party-v25.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay! Glad you are back! Loved the breakfast! I know some people who would love this sweet breakfast too! Have a great day.
    Kate
    PS- I have to admit, I am kind of jealous that you can just walk out to your garden and pick some flowers right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love every little detail of this!! Oh my goodness. You are seriously talented! And the picture frame tray is incredible! I will be sharing this! :) Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How nice to hear you are feeling much better! Thanks for sharing your brilliant ideas with us!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay so how do you have a gazillion ideas in one post!? That is amazing! I would only give up one at a time because I only have a few :) But you....the ideas come gushing out!! I hope Brandon enjoyed his breakfast!!! I am sure he did :) How could he not! That tray is just wayyyyy to cute for words! & now I am seriously wishing I had seen this post before I hit the thrift store for Annie's dress yesterday....I NEED some little sweater sleeves!!!! I want to keep a bunch on hand for giving friends some flowers! Jess you never stop surprising me! I have been taking a little break myself with no broken arm excuse but I have been missing ya! So glad I jumped on today for some of your sunshine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yey! You're back! You're back! And with amazing ideas, of course!! Love those mugs. Mine would, of course, be filled with coffee, but the cute little tag makes me want to switch to tea. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the tray! You're right the men in our lives do get the short end of the stick for Valentine's Day. Would love it if you came by and linked up to my Manic Monday Linky Party!
    -Melissa
    http://serendipityandspice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just wanted to let you know that I featured this today from the Show & Share party. Thanks for linking up!

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2012/02/show-share-26-features.html

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!